Friday, March 20, 2009

Toastmasters Speech No. 2 " Ant Philosophy"

By Alvin Abrantes

“Have you ever observed how ants work? I have.”

I think everybody should study ants.

Ants are tiny, hardworking creatures, that we see crawling in line, sometimes even carrying tiny pieces of food particles that are bigger than they are!
We can definitely see them everywhere, and once bitten, there’s this urge to scratch that part of our body to soothe the pain.
But…

Do you know that we can learn so many things from these tiny creatures?
Let me share with you “The Ant Philosophy”, which came from world- famous speaker Jim Rohn.

The Ant philosophy is a very simple yet powerful concept.
They have an amazing four-part philosophy, and here it is:
First, ants never quit. If they're headed somewhere and you try to stop them; they'll look for another way. They'll climb over, under, around! They keep looking for another way. What a neat philosophy, to never quit looking for a way to get where you're supposed to go.

Second, ants think winter all summer. That's an important perspective. You can't be so naive as to think summer will last forever. So ants are gathering their winter food in the middle of summer.

An ancient saying goes, "Don't build your house on the sand" Why do we need that advice? Because it is important to plan and think ahead. During summer, you've got to think storm. You've got to think rocks as you enjoy the sand and sun. Think ahead.
The third part of the ant philosophy is that ants think summer all winter. That is also very important. During winter, ants remind themselves, "This won't last long; we'll soon be out of here." And the first warm day, the ants are out. If it turns cold again, they'll dive back down, but then they come out the first warm day. They can't wait to get out.

And here's the last part of the ant philosophy. How much will an ant gather during summer to prepare for winter? All that he possibly can. What an incredible philosophy, the "all-that-you-possibly-can" philosophy.
I have embraced the ant philosophy. Whenever I encounter a cold day in my life, I always consider it as a challenge. I always handle it positively. When I was diagnosed with GBS, my character was tested. But just like the ant, I did not give up, I was very positive that I can overcome my condition, I defied my doctors that leads me to where I am right now.

In a nutshell, like the ants…

• We should never quit looking for a way to reach where we’re supposed to, or want to go.
• It is important to plan and think ahead
• Stay positive at all times
• Do all you can & more

Friends, let’s learn from the wisdom of the ants.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails