Tuesday, February 15, 2005

My New Pair of Shoes by TM Edwin Ebreo

Fellow Toast Masters, These shoes are new. I purchased it barely a month a go from a friend who sells Natasha products. 3 gives for a total of 1,500. Not a bad deal right? But knowing how stingy and cheap I am, I wouldn’t have bought it unlesss absolutely necessary. You see my favorite old shoes gave up on me after 5 years of satisfying service. It pains me but I really had no choice…

The first two weeks with these shoes were like hell. On the first day I wore it, I complained about how heavy it is. I grew more blisters in my feet than you would care to know. At the end of the day, I was so tired and in pain that I wished I wouldn’t have to walk half a kilometer from the bus stop to my house. My body just reacted so negatively to the change and I wished my old shoes could stand more than 5 years of service. I had no choice though. I knew I had to endure the first few weeks in the same way that I did with my old shoes.

These shoes brought unwelcomed but necessary changes to my life, small, yes but necessary none-the-less. Which brings me to the point I’d like to drive at. We all have to face necessary changes in our lives at one time or another. We’d wish that the signs would be as obvious as in the case of my old shoes, but at most times, the most subtle hints bring the most impact, like the need to relate better with others or learn new skills. Most often our reaction to the need for change is that of denial. We make excuses in the same way that I say, what’s wrong with my old shoes? We all heard about that saying that goes, if ain’t broke, don’t fix it. We also say, this is who I am, what you see is what you get, take it or leave it. But the truth is we can’t wear the same shoes all the time and besides there are different shoes for different occasions. And on some, we will need an entirely different set of shoes. We all know that in order to get ahead in this life, we cannot stay in the status quo, we have to find ways to make improvements in our selves and adapt to the environment we live in. I say, don’t get caught wearing the wrong shoes!

So, what are the necessary changes in your life that you’ve been trying to push back for a long time? Taking up a new hobby, pursuing a relationship? acquiring a new skill? Joining Toastmasters??? What? You have better ways of spending your time and money? Why, is it too scary? The more excuses you make up, the longer it will take before you get to enjoy the benefits of the changes you need to make. Sure it’s inconvenient and painful at times. I’d be lying if I say it is not, but you know what, we all need changes like I need these new pair of shoes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails